Most people looking at chainsaws have a particular brand in mind. Whether they’ve heard good things from others or like they look better than the competition, all of them are wrong. I’ve been using chainsaws for years and years, and I can tell you that there are more things to consider than just cost and appearance when it comes to buying one.
Chainsaws can be helpful for a variety of tasks, including chopping firewood, landscaping, and even construction and demolition operations. Some names rapidly rise to the top of any chainsaw rankings. However, some of the lesser-known brands also offer good value and quality.
It can be difficult to determine which chainsaw brands are the greatest and which you should stay away from. Which brand? Husqvarna, Stihl, Oregon, or another? Each of these has a specific audience, and it’s important to know who the manufacturer is trying to attract with the brand before making a decision. Given how fiercely contested the chainsaw business is, there are now many more brands than ever.
There are so many brands of chainsaws available on the market, so it can be hard to know which is best for you. However, I’ve created a quick guide to help guide you toward the perfect chainsaw based on your needs and requirements. This article will cover the top chainsaw manufacturers currently on the market.
Which Chainsaw Brand Is The Best?
The secret to making a wise chainsaw investment is getting a product that precisely matches your needs and budget. This guide will assist you in determining which brands to include or exclude from your quest for a new chainsaw, whether you are an experienced professional or a casual user.
Stihl is the most popular chainsaw brand worldwide and provides a wide range of premium saws for both professionals and homeowners. This German company produces chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers, and other outdoor power equipment.
Its broad chainsaw selection consists of plug-in and cordless electric versions in addition to 2-cycle and 4-cycle gas-powered saws. The only option for purchasing at nearby Stihl dealers is in-store pickup. Andreas Stihl founded the business in 1926, and his family still runs it. In the Baden-Württemberg town of Waiblingen, they have its global headquarters.
- Stihl MS 250: This is one of the top choices among Stihl chainsaw products. This chainsaw has an excellent weight-to-power ratio thanks to its robust 45.4cc 2-cycle engine and 18-inch bar. Long weekends are a great time to use this model.
- Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss: This saw has a rugged 50.2cc 2-cycle engine and is frequently recommended for professional use. Although it already has an 18-inch bar, it can also accommodate 16- and 20-inch bars.
- Stihl MSA 140 C-B: Stihl quality and performance with zero emissions and quiet operation are provided by the 36V lithium-ion rechargeable battery that powers the high-torque brushless motor. This lightweight option is good for individuals who require a dependable saw for up to 45 minutes for each charge.
Husqvarna, a maker of delicate machinery and outdoor power equipment, makes the best chainsaws for both professionals and homeowners. Husqvarna was founded in Huskvarna, Sweden, in 1689 as precise drilling and grinding business producing military-grade cannon parts.
Sewing machines, wood stoves, typewriters, bicycles, motorcycles, and gas stoves were just a few of the consumer goods the firm quickly expanded into throughout the 1870s. Husqvarna introduced its first chainsaw in 1959 and immediately gained a reputation for providing exceptional user experience, including less weight, simpler starting, quieter operation, less vibration, and an emphasis on safety.
Even though Husqvarna Group has manufacturing plants worldwide, it is headquartered in Sweden. Chainsaws made by Husqvarna, Stihl’s main rival, are well-regarded by consumers all over the globe. Unlike Stihl goods, Husqvarna chainsaws may be ordered online and delivered to your home.
- Husqvarna 120 Mark II: This saw operates more quietly, smoothly, and with fewer exhaust emissions than others in its class – thanks to its 38cc 2-cycle X-torque engine. It’s a fantastic household saw for cutting small trees down, trimming, and clearing brush – thanks to the 16-inch bar.
- Husqvarna 460 Rancher: Larger trees and heavy quantities of firewood are no match for the 460 Rancher’s 60.3cc engine and 24-inch bar. It was chosen as the Best Heavy-Duty Chainsaw in our Best Gas Chainsaw guide.
In terms of cordless electric outdoor power equipment, Greenworks is a pioneer. When Greenworks first opened its doors in 2007, it aimed to dominate the market for cordless outdoor power tools used by professionals and DIYers alike. The firm’s 24, 40, 60, 80, and 82-volt lithium-ion rechargeable battery-powered equipment provides power and performance comparable to gas-powered equipment without the associated noise and pollution.
All of the same-voltage Greenworks tools can use the same batteries. Because these instruments come with or without batteries and chargers, it is more economical to amass a collection of just one brand. The business offers both corded and cordless variants of chainsaws, which are all widely available for online purchase. All products are produced at Greenworks’ Changzhou, China, headquarters.
- Greenworks G-MAX 40V Cordless Chainsaw: With a 16-inch bar, tool-free chain tensioning, metal bucking spikes, an automated blade oiler, and an electronic chain brake, this saw is a reliable all-purpose model for daily use. With a 40V 2Ah battery and an effective brushless electric motor, up to 90 cuts can be made per charge.
Poulan produces sturdy, straightforward chainsaws with a reasonable price-to-power ratio. Since its establishment in Louisiana in 1946, Poulan has earned a solid reputation for making chainsaws. The company has worked hard to offer simple, lightweight, robust saws at a fair price, first for loggers and then for customers. The chainsaws are made in several American sites, and the Poulan brand is now a part of Husqvarna’s global assets.
- Poulan Pro PR4016 Gas Chainsaw: This reasonably priced, no-frills chainsaw is a decent option for sporadic medium-duty jobs like storm cleanup and light tree felling and pruning. It has a workhorse 40cc 2-cycle motor.
Makita produces tools of the highest caliber for both serious DIYers and professionals. As a sales and service company for electric motors, Makita was established in Japan in 1915. Over time, it rose to become a market leader in the production of premium electric hand tools.
Early in the 1990s, the company entered the market for gas-powered outdoor power equipment when it bought reputable German manufacturer Dolmar Sachs. As a result of the rich histories of both businesses, Makita chainsaws now provide consumers and professionals with a full selection of premium cordless electric and 2-cycle gas chainsaws.
Regarding performance in general and sturdiness, Makita has a stellar reputation. Chainsaws from this manufacturer are particularly praised for having an excellent weight-to-power ratio. These compact, powerful saws are designed with high-quality materials, which makes them easy to use and remarkably durable over time when used frequently.
- Makita XCU03PT 18V X2 Cordless Chainsaw: This was one of the best choices in evaluating the top chainsaws. The direct-drive brushless motor system can make up to 190 cuts on a single charge and produces power comparable to a 32cc 2-cycle gas engine thanks to its two 18V 5Ah batteries.
- Makita EA6100PRGG 20″ 61cc Chainsaw: This saw is designed for prolonged firewood cutting sessions or clearing the back forty. The lightweight, 61cc 2-cycle gas engine weighs only 13.6 pounds and generates 4.6 horsepower for simple felling and limbing.
ECHO manufactures easy-to-use, dependable, high-quality outdoor power equipment for weekend DIYers and daily usage by industry professionals. The largest subsidiary of the Japanese Yamabiko Corporation, ECHO, is based in Illinois.
Since its establishment in 1978, ECHO has designed portable outdoor power equipment to satisfy residential and commercial needs while continuously enhancing its 2-cycle engines to lessen their adverse environmental effects. Additionally, the company now sells chainsaws with batteries.
ECHO chainsaws are known for their ease of use, simplicity, reliability, and longevity. Its gas-powered chainsaw selection, geared toward consumers, is competitive with leading manufacturers like Stihl, Husqvarna, and Makita.
- ECHO CS-310-16 30.5cc Chainsaw: This chainsaw is light enough to work with all day – thanks to its 8.8-pound weight. Slide access to the chain tensioner, an i-30 starter for simpler starts, tool-free access to the air filter, and an automatic clutch-driven oiler are all convenient features.
- ECHO CCS-58VBT 16 in. 58-Volt Cordless Chainsaw: Great cuts can be made with this ECHO cordless chainsaw per charge. It is one of the greatest saws for working securely in dense undergrowth or cutting branchy trees and shrubs due to its lightweight 7.4-pound weight and top-handle construction.
7. Black & Decker
Electric power tools from Black & Decker are reliable and reasonably priced. Black & Decker was established in 1910 as a machine business in Baltimore, Maryland. Shortly after, the company started producing various electric power tools.
Before entering the lawn and garden business in the 1950s, it was the first manufacturer to introduce a line of consumer-focused power equipment following World War II. Black & Decker chainsaws carry that tradition by providing a more reasonably priced, lightweight, and dependable alternative to larger, more expensive, pro-grade models.
Several household tool brands fall under the global Stanley Black & Decker organization, which includes the Black & Decker trademark. Its chainsaw parts are produced worldwide, with most of the assembly in China.
- Black+Decker 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw: This lightweight cordless chainsaw is only 6.8 pounds and has a 10-inch bar. This saw is the economical choice in our list of the Best Electric Chainsaws of 2022 and is simple to operate.
- Black+Decker 15-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw: At an affordable price, this corded electric chainsaw provides strength, silent operation, and limitless runtime. For a variety of applications, the 15-amp motor and 18-inch low-kickback bar provide swift, smooth cuts.
DeWalt produces professional-grade corded and cordless handheld electric tools. In 1924, DeWalt was established in Pennsylvania as a producer of cutting-edge electric woodworking tools. It began the battery-powered hand-tool revolution in the middle of the 1990s by introducing the first line of portable cordless tools for customers.
FLEXVOLT for 20V and 60V, one of the brand’s more recent developments, made its debut in 2016 and introduced the first battery that automatically changes voltage as the user switches tools. At a mid-range pricing point, DeWalt maintains a strong reputation for quality, dependability, and innovation. Although Stanley Black & Decker now owns the DeWalt brand, its headquarters and manufacturing remain in the United States.
- DeWalt FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless Chainsaw: While working in brushy regions, the small design makes it well-balanced and relatively easy to manage. Additionally, the 60V rechargeable battery and high-efficiency motor provide 30 minutes of runtime for each charge.
Ultimately, the brand that you try first is the best way to go. Several brands may suit your needs if you have any experience with chainsaws and are interested in purchasing a new one.
Each brand has several products, and when choosing a chainsaw, you will also have to consider what material you plan on cutting, the length of time you will use this chainsaw, and how frequently you will use it. Moreover, before purchasing a chain for your chainsaw, you must familiarize yourself with the speed at which this chain can cut through wood, the pitch of the chain, and other important details.
In the end, there are a ton of chainsaws out there. You have many options and choices regarding the different brands you can buy. But the fact of the matter is this: with all those choices, and you’ll want to find something that suits your needs.